Monday, May 28, 2007

 

Scouting

I was able to take off for a couple of hours today to scout the Greenbelt for the route I would like to use during the 1/2 marathon I'm promoting. Met Kerkove, Carlos, Father of Carlos, and Super Saul on my way out of Hudson and they were rolling in. I had a nice tail wind on the way north to the Greenbelt. This area has been flooded for much of the spring and 2 more inches last week didn't help.

I arrived at the shelter on the north side of Ridgeway Ave. and headed out for some mileage readings. I came across my first wet spot within a mile, no big deal. Then I came to the next one, It was a dry run bed that was full of water about 8 feet across. Well, I needed a mileage count so I slammed into it, hub deep and I was stopped! Didn't fall but had to dismount and would have soggy shoes and fox socks the rest of the ride.

I came to several more more low spots, I did eat it on one causing a soggy ass and wet cell phone. I should just leave that thing at home! Finally I made it to the dike, and crossed back across the creek to take a lap around Greenbelt lake. Then back into the single track to cross all the same low spots again. By now I'm a wet muddy mess, no worries. Up a small hill and then the only true single track in the Greenbelt. Total mileage was 6.8, not bad.

I then headed to the south side it was not as wet but plenty sandy and parts of the trail had fallen into the creek, yikes! I completed the south side with less drama than the north and had a mileage of over 7 for the south. Sweet, a total of 13.1 shouldn't be a problem for the trail run. And the cool thing about running is plowing through a stream or creek isn't a big deal and people kind of expect it. I think this should be a good event.

Ok, I'm out. Short week and the shop is busy, should be interesting.

Ed

Comments:
you make that ss fly, eduardo! woohoo!

the trip home? well, you have to remember that "it's all training"....

peace out, yo!
 
Yea, training.......If I just knew for what???
 
Put the cell phone in a Ziploc.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?